Novel Ideas Art Book Fair
Novel Ideas Art Book Fair
March 6–7, 2020 | 116 Blue Star
PURCHASE TICKETS – from $15-$40.
Keynote lecture free. Registration required. Details below.
Novel Ideas Art Book Fair is a two-day art book fair organized by Blue Star Contemporary featuring artists’ books, monographs, zines, printed ephemera, and more. Conceived as a platform and community-building event for artists and producers operating primarily in the Southwestern US region and Mexico who are dedicated to books as medium and material, the Novel Ideas Art Book Fair includes a range of exhibitors, both publishers, and artists. Novel Ideas includes programming such as talks, pop-up workshops, signings, an after party hosted by Paper Tiger, and four complementary onsite exhibitions. We are thrilled to welcome world renowned artist and curator Julie Ault as the keynote speaker for the event.
Friday, March 6
5pm-6pm VIP hour
6pm-9pm Fair opening night
Saturday, March 7
Exhibitors in the galleries all day.
Special programming below
- All day-New issue release, Issue 14: The Election Issue – Yes, Ma’am
- 11am-Artist Talk by Madison Cowles Serna – Feral Editions
- 12pm-Artist talk and book launch of The Place Where Flags Wave- Jason Reed of Texas State University Photography Program
- 1pm-Vinyl record listening session – M12
- 3pm-Keynote lecture by Julie Ault (1518 S Alamo St, San Antonio, TX 78204, at SAY Sí) RSVP HERE
- 4:30-6pm-David Martin Davies table sharing and signing of Secret History of San Antonio – TPR/David Martin Davies
- 4:30pm-Mystery book giveaway! – Bill’s Junk
- Doors at 8pm-Closing party at Paper Tiger (2410 N St Mary’s St, San Antonio, TX 78212) with El Dusty and The Homies
Participating 202o exhibitors include
- Animal Facts Club (Wimberley)
- Annie May Johnston (Austin)
- Artpace (SA)
- Bill’s Junk (Houston)
- Cattywampus Press (SA)
- Cortney Cassidy (Oakland)
- Coyote Bones Press (San Antonio)
- Feral Editions (SA)
- Flowerpot Books (SA)
- French & Michigan (SA)
- Glasstire (TX)
- Hare and Hound Press (SA)
- Hellen Jo (LA)
- M12 (Colorado)
- Lawrence Markey (San Antonio)
- Lorenzo Gomez (San Antonio)
- Pey-Jing Li Mehrinfar (San Marcos)
- Mixed Media Press (Mexico City)
- Modernizm Zine (Houston)
- MOSAIC Student Artist Program (San Antonio)
- Mystic Multiples (Houston)
- Rand Renfrow (Austin)
- San Anto Zine Fest (SA)
- Southwest School of Art (SA)
- Spend Time Zine Mart (Austin)
- Sybil Press (SA/Baltimore)
- Texas State University Photography Program (San Marcos)
- TPR/David Martin Davies (TX)
- Trilce Ediciones (Mexico City)
- UT Print and Friends (Austin)
- Yes, Ma’am Press & Xicana Vegan(SA)
WAYS TO SUPPORT:
- $15 – Friday, March 6, 2020 opening night (CAM supporters receive $5 discount at the door with CAM sticker)
- $20 – Saturday, March 7, 2020 all day
- Door cover charge – Saturday, March 7, 2020 7-11pm closing concert at Paper Tiger
- $40 – All access pass to all the above, advance purchase only, includes limited edition artist print by Rand Renfrow for first 40 pass purchasers. BSC members, TPR members, and members of any of our museum month partner organizations receive a $5 discount on the all access pass.
VOLUNTEER — Volunteers are needed to help with hospitality and logistics during the art book fair. Please sign up here:
THANK YOU TO OUR SPONSORS!
Glasstire, Nina Hassele and Contemporary Art Month, Jefferson Bank, Key Ideas, King Willam Association, Liberty Bar, Paper Tiger, Say Sí, San Antonio Area Foundation, Texas Public Radio, and Whataburger.
Save the date for the 2021 edition of Novel Ideas Art Book Fair April 11, 2021.
*(Image left: © John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation- used with permission. Julie Ault, right, at the Museum Tamayo, in Mexico City on September 20, 2018.)